Friday, November 28, 2008

normal service will be resumed (hopefully)

I'm typing this is XV, the local charity shop. The girls have downloaded so much rubbish onto our computer that all the fragments are fighting, which means, among other things, I can't sign into Blogger. I guess I'll have to take the shovel to the hard disk and muck it out. Or reboot, it'll leave less scratches.

After wars and rumours of wars, I've banned the girls from downloading games, music programs etc until Kingdom Come or I calm down, whichever comes first. I spoke to a very nice lady at Norton who verified the computer hadn't caught a cold. While Norton 2009 was downloading we chatted about the weather, a very British thing. I said it was spitting in the Draughty Old Fen, but that many East Anglians were so rain-averse they wouldn't come out to walk in this weather, whereas in Scotland rain is a fact of life. She said she was in India where it had been raining heavily for two days due to a typhoon in the Bay of Bengal. I don't know enough about Indian weather to hazard a guess that she was on the East Coast. I wanted to ask her if she had any relatives in Mumbai, but didn't have the courage. Maybe a computer with a cough isn't so bad after all.

3 comments:

  1. It seems that at times our problems are just big enough to put us in the right place, at the right time, to see that our problems aren't so big after all... in the grand scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My computer seems to object to your blog lately. I left a post on the other one, but appears you've not seen it yet. A programmer friend says he thinks the problem is Windows Vista, even though there is a virus out there that does this thing. (Only your blog is giving it fits, for some reason.) I never wanted Vista, but beggars can't be choosers. Hope it will be resolved soon, whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam - I could read your comment, and I could type a reply, but whatever was up with the computer prevented me from sending it! Thankfully I'm back on now after a complete reboot! Good to be able to talk (or type) to you again. (Except the key that types @ now types ", and vice versa. Any ideas gratefully received.)

    Linda - I couldn't agree enough.

    FD

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment - Frugal Dougal.