Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Frugal Dougal: an eejit abroad

I've decided that there are far too few crusty old right-wingers offending liberals on the web: cyberspace needs me.

As far as I'm aware, the term "draughty fen" was coined by Jenny Diski in New Statesman - publishing her essay was probably the only meaningful thing the troublemaking rag did.

I've decided to insert "old" into the phrase, because the memories of Tony Blair, after his beatification, bleating about Britain being a "young country" still get up my nose. Anyway, there's a lot of history in the Fens; history is about what worked, what lasted, what didn't need fixing until some eejit or other came and broke it. The Fens are old. Therefore, Madam Chairman, ladies and gentlemen, I ask you to charge your glasses and toast: "Tales from a Draughty Old Fen".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment - Frugal Dougal.